Rocma: [takes cigarettes and runs]
oh!!!! oh gee!!!!!!! okay where do i start
- the people who printed all of the different puppet’s faces weren’t sure how to get everything to look organic. if you saw coraline, then you might notice that, compared to paranorman, most of them have pretty clear skin. they didn’t have 3d color printing then, so someone had to paint 5 freckles on every single one of coraline’s faces. thankfully, for paranorman, laika hired the kind of people who could come up with creative solutions by using both computers and art knowledge, and 3d color printing was used. i think that’s super cool and efficient. it was the first stop-motion film to use 3d color printing, and they printed over 31,000 individual faces. norman has approximately 1.5 million different expressions, thanks to this!
- it takes at least 3-4 months to create one of the puppets used in the film, and a bit less for replicas of finished puppets. paranorman had 178 puppets in all! whew. just 28 of them were for norman alone
- all 120 costumes in the movie were sewn by hand, some of the #needles used to do so being as thin as a single human hair. if paranorman was like coraline, then underwear was also made for each character, despite the fact that you never see it. teeny tiny undies
- paranorman is one of the most ambitious stop-motion films in existence, containing things that stop-motion animators usually stay away from, like large crowds and long flowing hair and characters without necks and alllll kinds of things. if there’s one thing laika’s good at, it’s pushing boundaries. and they want to make one film like this a year
- paranorman isn’t entirely stop-motion! going along with the pushing-boundaries thing, laika isn’t a stop-motion purist company, and a lot of the special effects were combined stop-motion animation and cgi. they basically try to use what tools they have to get what looks the best. the spoiler character near the end of the film is a GREAT example of this, using stop motion, cgi, even fricking printed ink strokes to portray that character to the best of their abilities
- also, about the spoiler character, the team did an AMAZING job at keeping everything surrounding them hidden. you can’t even find a lot of concept work for them in the art book, despite there having been plenty. they really, really guarded everyone from spoilers (which is one reason why i want everyone who hasn’t seen the movie yet to block paranorman spoilers even though it’s been out for 2 years haha)
- tomm moore, the guy who’s worked on amazing films like the secret of kells and the song of the sea, helped with some of the early visual production! his style is very different compared to paranorman, but norman still ended up being very reminiscent of the kids from the secret of kells in design
- heidi smith was the main character designer and, iirc, wasn’t very well known beforehand. laika wanted to find someone who portrayed the nervous, asymmetrical style of the film, and they finally found heidi. she has a very specific way of working, isolating herself in a room without distractions and only using a specific kind of green pencil she constantly sharpens to a fine point with a knife herself. she’s so cool
- films like this are very expensive to make, but laika didn’t buy a lot of the things they used on the movie sets. a bunch of stuff just came from junkyards they rummaged around in and thought they could use! tons of the trees used in those big forests are made of hardly anything more than shredded cardboard
- the directors went to massachusetts themselves to get a feel for the setting. they actually trespassed on some person’s property and got yelled at. they say that this wasn’t all bad, because it reminded them of the hostile locals from the film, but i’m pretty sure that person was just upset because they were. trespassing. which is a reasonable reason to be hostile. yeah
there’s soooo much that went into paranorman omg i highly recommend both buying the art book and looking up the behind-the-scenes videos online!! i love paranorman so much, it’s a constant source of amazement for me
They don’t stand a chance, Chells a professional robot killer
Wadanohara makes a big mistake
Rock denies his eyebrow game
… AND THAT IS THE WAY I MAKE FIRE! Simple and messy “how to gry”.
I will add quick smoke tutorial / step by step too Just wait. \o/
EDIT: Sorry for small images >8C I am not good with tumblr image sizes and I have never understood them. But by copying the image URL you can see bigger sized images!
art resources, fire
Awesome! thanks grypwolf
where is the mikotsu love
Author’s comment: This upsets me. I am upset. I have made myself upset. Warnings for blood and death.
Characters: The whole Ice Scream cast.
Pairings: None, though you can imply Shirogane x Yukisada, Shirogane x Rocma, and mentions of Rocmate.
Summary: A hunter has found Iceberg Isle, and he’s not leaving until he has two dead creatures to sell.
For: my mafuyu tumblr user mafuuyuu
wadanohara stuff + prosciutto love affair….
*New Ice Scream thing*
*Starts drawing Ice Scream things*